Vierzehnheiligen
Vierzehnheiligen traces its history back to the Saxon war of brothers. In the war the village of Lutzendorf was destroyed. Finally the war ended in 1451 and as a thank you to god a religious institution was to be erected.
For his purpose he plateau between Jena and Apolda and in particular the destroyed village of Lutzendorf was selected. Of he village only a fountain had survived. In medieval times the water of the fountain was to have heeling properties. In 1453 the foundation stone of the new pilgrimage-church was laid. The stones came from the destroyed palace in close-by Isserstedt. In 1464 he church was completed and the old village of Lutzendorf was re-named Vierzehnheiligen.

The central part of the church and the tower were part of the original church building. Over the years the church was damaged, changed and repaired. In 1775 the top of the tower burned out and was re-build in the shape we see today. In 1801 the church was partly re-constructed. At the battle the slate roof of the church tower was destroyed. A restoration of the church was undertaken in 1826.

The next restoration was undertaken in 1906 for the 1005th anniversary of the battle. The monument in front of the church was erected at this time. After WWII the church fell into dis-repair and it was not until 1987 that this trend was reversed. Some mayor work was undertaken in 1997. Private donations and many hours of work by volunteers helped to improve he state of the church dramatically. In 2001 through a donation of 10,000 Euros by 100 inhabitants of the village made it possible to restore the arge window behind the altar.

It is here on such a historic ground the city of Jena and is politician want to erect a wind-power-installation. We have o say no to such a project here, especially if the inhabitants don’t want it here.
    
It was here that the main action of the battle was fought. By 9 o’clock the main force of Hohenlohe under General Grawert moved into line behind Vierzehnheiligen facing the village. The Prussian right wing would be just on top of he picture extending to boh sides of the village. Hohenlohe had assembled 20 battalion’s of infantry (11 Prussian and 9 Saxon) and 39 squadrons of cavalry (19 Prussian and 20 Saxon). The fog begun to lift. General Grawerts 10 prussian battalions formed the first line and at around 9.30 the line advanced like on the parade ground, the colors flying and he music playing. Hey advanced straight against Vierzehnheiligen. He French Infantry moved back, but Hohenlohe stopped the advance 500 meters shy of Vierzehnheiligen. French Tirailleurs in the village were driven off by Prussian fusiliers and rifle-man.

French re-enforcements re-took the village (40th Regt.). Hohenlohe orders his troops forward close to the village. From here the Prussian infantry and artillery firing against the village setting it on fire and dislodging the French. Hohenlohe's officers pushing him to advance and take the village with the bayonet.

Around 10.30 six squadrons of French cavalry (6th Hussars and 21th Chasseurs a cheval) charging along he front of the Isserstedter Forest. Hohenlohe’s cavalry was able to charge into the flank of he French and throw them back. At around the same time Hohenlohe received a message from General Ruechel that he is on the way to support him. Hohenlohe wrote back that he would like to see Rüchel’s help in front of Vierzehnheiligen. That could be an explanation why Rüchel when he arrived at Kapellendorf to attack against Gross-Romsted.

After Hohenlohe send he messenger to Rüchel, he decided to wait to wait for his arrival. In doing so the Prussian line continued to stand in front of Vierzehnheiligen. With more and more French troops arriving on the field the Prussian extended the line to the left and right of Vierzehnheiligen. They were able to push the French back on the wings and move the wings past Vierzehnheiligen. The village itself was not attacked. For hours the Prussian infantry was standing motionless in front of the village exchanging volleys with the well protected French in the village. The French fire took a heavy toll. It was mostly the artillery fire under which the Prussians suffered so badly.

Around noon Napoleon ordered the general attack. The Prussian line after standing in the French fire for hours, suffering so many casualties and now badly outnumbered by the enemy could not hold off the Fench. Hohenlohe ordered the retreat. It was sill undertaken in good order until the retreating units were attacked by Murat’s cavalry